Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Friends

Last night, we had our bi-weekly coffee clutch at a local establishment. This normally consists of a group of guys in cushy chairs sitting around a table sipping coffee and shooting the breeze. Some of these meetings have been free form and others have included a book that we are studying. The book work has been good because we all learn from the author, but the sharing is very special.

True friendship means no fears and no barriers. With a friend, you can say almost anything. You have confidence and trust in a friend. You can pour out your heart and know that your friend is there for you, and will share in kind, and will pray with and for you, and will help wherever and whenever they can.

Such is the case with our group. We are all human and make mistakes and have problems. Because we are true friends, and have a common solid foundation in the Lord, we can dare to be honest.

There are six of us that have regularly attended these coffee nights, each with a somewhat different and unique perspective on life and faith. Each of us comes from a different area of the country; each has a different cultural upraising, and each of us represents certain strengths and also opportunities for growth. If we add up all those strengths, we are a formidable bunch indeed.

Last night, half of our group showed up. I was blessed by the presence and discussions of the other two; I missed those three that did not make it.

One of our MIA has experienced serious illness. Every time I think of him, I pray for him again. This man has demonstrated the strength of the Word as a constant source of wisdom and knowledge. Thank you for this and thank you for the living testimony of your life.

The other two of our MIA has recently moved and the distance has become a hurdle. Long work days and the pressures of home or money can weigh heavily against another drive in Los Angeles-area traffic. I pray that the Lord will bless them to find a way to again attend because we miss them. One of these men is conservative and I have been guilty of winding him up a bit. He brings a provocative perspective that often brings us to some very interesting places. The other is younger and more liberal. He has a knack of saying the right thing at the right time to balance the “conservative Christian” ranting and bring the group back to reality. Lord, thank you for these men.

Our progression in faith seems obvious and it is exciting to see this growth. I am looking forward to a full table and a complete sharing in two weeks.

All In Him,
Tom

1 Comments:

Blogger Kirk said...

I appreciate your comments Tom and wholeheartedly agree.

"I didn't find my friends; the good God gave them to me."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home